During the past weeks we have seen the power of the human spirit within our community and across the globe. Our teams are inspired by this spirit and are grateful to have your support.
This week we launched a new commercial, Healing Spirit, that pays tribute to our caregivers and our community for the remarkable efforts to serve and support each other in the face of this global pandemic.
Below are additional insights on the latest COVID-19 information, and details on our preparedness and response efforts.
Keeping You Safe
In our continued efforts to help identify and control the spread of COVID-19 in Florida, AdventHealth opened multiple drive-up testing locations across Central Florida including Daytona International Speedway and the Mall at Millenia. A new testing location will be available next week at the Seminole Mall. Visit AdventHealthCoronaVirusT
esting.com for all testing locations and to schedule an appointment prior to arrival. Additional locations in Central Florida will be announced in the coming week.
The tests will be available to anyone who meets the criteria for testing, as set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A doctor’s order is not required for testing.
AdventHealth has tested more than 11,500 people across our hospitals and Centra Care urgent care facilities — more than any other health care system in Florida, according to the Florida Division of Emergency Management.
Keeping You Informed
Video Visit Options – AdventHealth Video Visits are available now for primary care, pediatrics and specialty care, as well as physical therapy. In the comfort of your home, you can speak with a medical provider by a video visit or phone call and may be advised to make an in-person visit, if it’s deemed necessary.
Face Mask Usage - Osceola County officials announced on April 10, 2020 an executive order requiring all people to wear a cloth facial covering consistent with the current CDC guidelines while in any public place. The order took effect on Monday, April 13, 2020, at 12:01 a.m. and will remain in effect until further notice. Orange County is recommending people wear face masks, but as of April 17, it is not a requirement.
COVID-19 Facebook LIVE - Join us Tuesdays and Thursdays for the AdventHealth Morning Briefing, a new Facebook live series where we’ll address your top questions and share the latest COVID-19 developments. Hosted by Dr. Scott Brady, this live discussion will feature leaders and other physicians from throughout our organization. Learn more here.
AdventHealth is rolling out a number of innovative treatments for the most critically ill patients:
· Convalescent plasma: Working with OneBlood, we are seeking donations of plasma from patients who’ve recovered from COVID-19. This plasma is transfused into patients who are still fighting the disease. Antibodies in the plasma have the potential to help these patients recover.
· Remdesivir: This antiviral drug, originally developed for use against Ebola, is showing promise in COVID patients in preliminary results.
· Sarilumab: AdventHealth researchers are part of a clinical trial to determine whether this drug, developed for people with rheumatoid arthritis, can help COVID patients by decreasing inflammation in the lungs.
AdventHealth is working with OneBlood to solicit donations from recovered patients across the region. OneBlood will collect the plasma, which can be secured either from whole-blood or plasma-only donors. Prospective donors can get more information here.
Acts of Kindness
The community has shown an outpouring of support for our caregivers who are overwhelmed by your generosity. Here are just a few highlights of kindness we’ve received this week:
- The Walt Disney World Resort donated over 30,000 sweet treats to our AdventHealth team along with this message of gratitude for our team members.
- Sam’s Club and 4RSmokehouse donated a truck full of fresh produce to ensure caregivers have access to fresh food and produce. Publix has designated Thursday evenings, 8 p.m. – 9 p.m., and Friday mornings, 7 a.m. – 8 a.m., as special shopping hours for first responders and healthcare team members. This change in hours will begin April 16 and continue until further notice.
As the number of COVID-19 cases climb in Florida, we encourage you to use the following resources for your top questions and concerns:
- If you have questions about COVID-19 or wonder if you should be tested, call the free AdventHealth Coronavirus Information Line at 877-VIRUS-HQ (877-847-8747). You can also find information at www.
- Mental Health Support: If you, your family, or colleagues, are in need of emotional help during this uncertain time. Heart of Florida United Way 211 Information and Referral Crisis Line is connecting residents with information about available resources in the community. Whether it’s finding out the location of the nearest food pantry or seeking information related to the virus, 211 Call Specialists are there to help navigate these uncertain times. https://www.hfuw.org/gethelp/
- Donation Hub: For ways you can help, including sending notes of encouragement to our caregivers, as well as virtual volunteering opportunities, please visit https://www.adventhealth.com/