Here are some interesting highlights from the April Edition of The Dispatcher, the monthly newsletter of the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office. The big stories from this month’s edition include a homegrown reserve deputy who regularly pilots a U-2 Spy Plane, a flyover in salute to our 2020 high school graduates, and a statewide group’s spotlight on our own Sheriff Dennis Lemma. Enjoy and Stay Safe!
Given the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, we'd like to take a moment to remind our residents that guidelines mandating social distancing are still in effect county-wide. Please take care when out in public places and wash your hands regularly. The best way to stay up to date with local information is by following Seminole County on Facebook, visiting PrepareSeminole.org, or calling 407-665-0000.
1. Reserve Deputy U2 Pilot - While the fight against COVID-19 has kept most of us at home, there are brave public servants keeping us safe at the highest reaches of our earth’s atmosphere. In this video shot before COVID-19’s onset, meet one of our reserve deputies who also flies a U-2 spy plane!
2. Opioid Treatment Program Milestone - April marks one year since Sheriff Lemma launched a medically-assisted treatment program for Opioid-dependent inmates inside the John E. Polk Correctional Facility. Our latest group graduated in early March. Several inmates were so dedicated to completing the program, they petitioned the courts to increase their sentences. We're proud of our team!
3. Telecommunicator's Week - In honor of Telecommunicator’s week that took place April 12th-18th, we created this video to recognize the professionals in our Communications Center who are working round-the-clock to serve you.
4. Alert Flyover of Seminole High Schools - On the night of April 20th at 8:20 p.m. (that’s 20:20 military time), Seminole County Public Schools lit up all of their high school stadiums as a special tribute to the Class of 2020. Our Alert helicopter team was high above to bring you a this bird’s eye view. Here’s to all of our 20s!
5. Spotlight Sheriff Lemma- Lastly, we were honored to learn earlier this month that Sheriff Lemma has been recognized by the Major County Sheriffs of America as their current “Spotlight Sheriff.” The MCSA, and their partners at Motorola Solutions, recently sat down one-on-one with Sheriff Lemma to talk about his path to the Office of the Sheriff, his organizational and personal philosophies, and the Seminole County approach to the opioid crisis. We encourage you to watch the video to learn more about our sheriff.