1. Our Six Heroes - In case you missed it, earlier this month we launched a documentary program, “Our VI Heroes," which salutes our six brave deputies who’ve sacrificed their lives while wearing the SCSO badge. Two years in the making, get to know them and their families who’ve also sacrificed so much and help us to honor that sacrifice. We will never forget.
2. Lab Worker Charged - The SCSO Financial Crimes Task Force has charged a local lab worker, 36-year-old Marystely Ortiz of Sanford, with stealing credit cards from patient's purses while they were giving specimen samples. The company Lab Corp. of Sanford, is cooperating with the ongoing investigation. Ortiz was arrested at her place of employment and jailed on multiple felony fraud charges. If you believe you were victimized, please call our task force at (407)665-1417.
3. National Correctional Officer Week - At the beginning of the month, we celebrated National Correctional Officer week by posting this video. We appreciate all of our professionals working to make our correctional facilities safe and secure. Please watch and feel free to share this video salute.
4. Lock Your Car Reminder - Before venturing out for a hike, bike ride, or a day on the water, we want to remind you to leave items of value at home. If you have to bring personal items, get a fanny pack, and keep them on you at all times. If you leave items visible in your car, you are a target. Be aware that someone may be watching as you put a wallet, purse, or cell phone under your seat. Always lock your cars, and don’t hesitate to report any spurious activity to law enforcement.
5. Duckling Rescue - Check out these cute baby ducks we helped rescue earlier this month! Shout out to SCSO K-9 Deputy Mark Rogers, and friends from Primera Medical Lake Mary, Tami Linder and Anna Kahan who teamed up to rescue some ducklings that had fallen through a storm drain. A citizen David Devore was there to assist as the ducklings were gently scooped in to a pouch, and taken to where the drain emptied in to a nearby pond. That’s just where Mom was waiting to welcome them back-with a quack!!